S.T.E.A.M. Based Engineering & Invention Class
The ACE program at Santiago Hills is bringing a hugely popular class to campus this winter. The S.T.E.A.M. Based Engineering & Inventions class has been selling out at our neighboring schools and comes highly recommended by all Irvine schools who have offered it! Explore the endless possibilities of the engineering design and redesign process through this S.T.E.A.M.-based series of workshops. Take part in collaborative maker challenges, design your own personalized robot creation, and more, all while enhancing important skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and innovation.
Register at www.ipsfacademy.org
See below for photos of the projects and descriptions of what the kids will make each week.
S.T.E.A.M. BASED ENGINEERING AND INVENTION $123
WEDNESDAYS: : January 25, February 1, 8, 15, 22 & March 1
Grades: 4-6 Wed. Time: 1:45-2:45 PM Location: F2
- Zip Line Collaborative STEM Challenge – Children will be challenged to design and create a carrier all out of reclaimed, reusable materials that can transport a tennis ball from one end of the zip line to the other without the ball falling out.
- Floating Boat Collaborative STEM Challenge – Children will be asked to work together to design and create a floating boat out of reclaimed and reusable materials that could functionally float in water for at least 10 seconds while holding the weight of 25 pennies.
- Super Tower Collaborative STEM Challenge – For this team challenge, the children will design and engineer a tower structure that is at least 18 inches in height and that can hold a tennis ball, while withstanding someone blowing on it.
- Marble Run Ramp STEM Challenge – Children will work together in teams to create a free-standing marble run designed to make a marble travel at least 36 inches.
- Fun with PlasTikobots – Each child will design and create their own personalized robot companion art piece, called a PlasTikobot, made from reclaimed single-use plastics.